Monday, April 28, 2014

Rough Theatre Response

The rough theatre writing was pretty awesome. I like the description of trying to make synthetic music, only to discover all of the rough sounds that come along with playing an instrument. The rough theatre sounds like a lot of fun, though I have never seen a theatre like that. I have heard of puppet theatres, where they have giant puppets in the play instead of humans, and that seems pretty rough. They are called Bread & Puppet theatres and they seem to operate with a similar agenda. I like the idea of improvisation, though I think that choreography and a well structured play is perfectly enjoyable. Theatre is very different from film in that the actors have the opportunity to interact with the audience, and I think that is something that is less utilized today, where theatres can be cold and overly-planned. I'd like to see a play with more dirt, and one that is rough.

Overall, I took away that we should not limit ourselves, when making art, to strict stylistic boundaries. As they said the "arsenal is limitless," and I think it is a good idea to be more impressionistic at times, even in making film.

Here is an example of Bread & Puppet theatre. It is pretty weird stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment