Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My Rough Theatre

My rough theatre is experimental filmmaking. I like to make films from organic experiences and edit them intuitively. In a way, that is my rough theatre. I would like to be a part of an actual rough theatre sometime. I want to try acting and it seems like a fun way to do it. Rough theatre means to me to be organic, dirty, and not try to overmanipulate things. I like to let things be the way they are naturally, and that very much applies to my life. So I guess you could say my life is my rough theatre. For an example, I made an experimental film based on dreams and feelings I've had about my experience with the internet. Rather than making a structured narrative, I focused on correlating images and sounds to create a feeling. I used a ballerina at the end of a dock, and a steadicam shot running towards her. I also used shots of computer screens, 2d animation, AIM chat boxes, Youtube loading symbols and images of nature. For the sound I downloaded and recorded several technological noises, mostly ones you would hear by communicating on the internet, and I edited them together to create a song. It came out pretty rough, but it was fun to edit loosely and intuitively, and to leave the story up to interpretation. I like the idea of the rough theatre, and I've thought about how I can apply the concept to my life and my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment