Monday, February 10, 2014

Acoustic Ecology

The reading and video about Acoustic Ecology was eye opening for me. I don't often think about noise pollution, but it is a very real thing. I like the idea of creating music in nature and with nature. It sounds like it would be a beautiful experience. I am from a rural area and love the sounds of nature. I visited New York city once and it was immediately evident that the soundscape was different there. Particularly I noticed the sounds of honking horns, it seems like there it is a form of communication not practiced in the South. I often notice the drone sound that was mentioned, it seems as though the world is never really quiet anymore. I find it difficult to read in public spaces, like libraries, where even the sound of the lights is noticeable.

I like the idea of coming together as a community and designing a healthy soundscape. It is interesting that they have created one in Japan, and even work to protect their sacred sounds. I think it would be difficult to create rules like that for America, people are more complacent about their surroundings and their environment.

Overall, I'm glad I was able to read about this topic. It made me feel more aware of my surroundings, as I was sitting in a cafeteria listening to the drone of technology mixed with the distorted mumbling of everyone around.

My favorite sound in the world- the sound of cats purring.



No comments:

Post a Comment