Monday, February 3, 2014

Media Fast

First of all, a complete media fast was impossible. I am currently managing all social media platforms for a local film festival, which I could not avoid. That being said, during my fast I only used social media for work.

My first feeling was of despair. I was sad that my next three days would be devoid of Candy Crush, binge watching Glee, and constantly streaming Pandora in my car. I was constantly taking out my phone and then reproaching myself for being such a robot. I realized how much I use social media to avoid doing all of the things I should be doing. For me, social media has become the ultimate excuse to procrastinate- because it feels good to check out and absorb the creativity of others.

Without using social media, I felt like I was somehow missing out on everything. The whole world was broadcasting events, ideas and thoughts and I was being left behind.

On the upside, I got a lot of work done. I also played board games with friends. Without having to check my facebook every ten seconds, I felt more present and connected to the people around me. I learned a few songs with my brother, and read a little of a book my Aunt sent me.

When I finished the experiment and finally checked my Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, etc I realized that I actually hadn't missed anything. Nothing in those applications felt like something I should have seen three days ago, or necessarily needed at any point. Everyone was still broadcasting, but I could have gone on forever without 5 snaps of cats being cats or an event invitation to something I made it to anyway.

Overall, I clearly waste a lot of time on the internet, and I don't think that it would hurt to cut back- especially on the Glee.


And everyone around me was all--


No comments:

Post a Comment