Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Crowdsourcing

My first encounter with crowdsourcing was the Freaker campaign, the bottle sleeve business that was created in Wilmington. I followed their campaign and was impressed by their audiovisual advertising. Their campaign video was being shared by people all over Facebook and their aesthetic and unique persona really sold their idea, and they were funded by 2,416 backers who raised $62,770. I was immediately taken by the idea of a community donating funds to an idea they wanted to see succeed. Crowdsourcing brings people together in that way. I have since used crowdsourcing myself to fund a campaign for funds to send a film to festivals. We were funded mostly by friends and family, but without platforms such as Kickstarter and Indiegogo, we would have had to apply for grants or come up with other plans for funding. I am grateful for crowdfunding in that scenario, but I think that it is a trend that will disappear in the future.

In terms of using crowdsourcing to create art, rather than fund it, I think it is an interesting idea. I like the idea of everyone bringing their own ideas and abilities into a project and seeing where it goes. In a globalized world, it is possible to create art from people from every continent.

Here is the Freaker USA campaign that inspired a community to give them money for bottomless socks!


No comments:

Post a Comment